BriarPatch Food Co-op Donations
The Co-op is committed to supporting nonprofits and organizations that do good work in our community. Our Ends Policies provide the filter that helps us decide which organizations we donate to financially and in-kind:
BriarPatch Food Co-op Ends Policies
BriarPatch Co-op exists so that owners, customers, and other members of our community have:
- A successful and vibrant cooperatively-owned business that acts as a leader among local businesses and food co-ops nationally, and contributes to environmental stewardship through its business practices.
- Access to high quality, healthy products, especially local and organic food.
- A community center where people experience a sense of connectedness, ownership and fellowship.
- A stronger local food system.
- A major employer that provides a healthy, fair, and considerate workplace for employees.
- Access to education about food and consumer issues that encourages customers to make healthier food choices.
Organizations that share mutual goals with our Co-op are welcome to apply for donations or CAUSEs throughout the year. Please fill out and download this DONATION REQUEST FORM and SUBMIT IT at least 30 days in advance of your event. (The pdf file is form fillable, please fill it out and then download it. It is required that you attach it to your request before you can submit it.
In order for us to consider a donation request, the recipient organization must adhere to our guidelines. Please review these guidelines prior to submitting your request.
A recipient must be one or more of the following:
- A cooperative
- A nonprofit organization
- A charitable organization
- An elementary, middle or high school
A request from an organization that does not meet the criteria for receipt of a donation shall be referred to management for consideration.
- Requests must be made formally using the donation application.
- Only one donation per year will be made to any given organization. Please plan appropriately and decide when it is best to request a donation from BPFC.
- Your organization must be located within Nevada County, and the efforts of your organization must focus on our local community.
- All applications are reviewed equitably and are not based on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Requests from the following organizations will be considered by BPFC
- Organizations defined as nonprofit under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
- Public agencies
- Events, programs, and projects that focus on improving the quality of life of our community, particularly as it relates to health, nutrition, education, environmental preservation and lifting marginalized populations
- Requests from the following organizations will not be considered by BPFC:
- Political or faith-based groups
- Service clubs or fraternal organizations
- Third-party fundraisers
- Private clubs funded through membership fees
- Sporting events or sports teams
- Individuals/Sponsorship of individual
- Organizations that permit the exclusion of a group based on their race/ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or lifestyle.
- Past support of an organization or event is not a guarantee of future support.
BPFC will make its commitment to sharing its prosperity with the community known in order to both inform its member-owners of its performance in that area and to encourage similar sharing by other businesses and organizations. BPFC encourages donations recipients to provide favorable mention of BPFC’s support of their causes.
Our Donation Programs
Concern for Community is a Co-op Principle and BriarPatch Food Co-op supports our community in a number of ways.
As you check out, just ask the cashier to round up your total payment to the nearest dollar or more. The amount over the purchase total — 100 percent of it — will be donated to the non-profit organization for that month.
Community Donation Vouchers
BriarPatch supports community groups and events with $25 vouchers for purchasing food or to give as prizes, one per group or event per year. BriarPatch considers all requests for support for community events that are nonprofit, nonpartisan, nonsectarian, and which do not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or physical disability. Ask at the Customer Service window.
School Fundraising Rebate Vouchers
BriarPatch donates 1% of purchases when your purchase is accompanied by a school voucher. Ask for vouchers in your school office. All local elementary, middle, and high schools are welcome to participate—contact the Marketing Department.
- Bitney College Prep H.S.
- Clear Creek School
- Ghidotti High School
- Grass Valley School District
- Live Oak Waldorf School
- Living Wisdom School
- Mount Saint Mary’s
- Nevada City School District
- Nevada City School Of The Arts
- Nevada Union High School
- Sierra Christian School
- Tall Pines Nursery School
- Twin Ridges Home Study Charter School
- Union Hill School
- Woolman Semester At Sierra Friends Center
- Yuba River Charter School
BriarPatch sponsors many community events. Sponsorship decisions are made by the Marketing Department and based on the group or project’s alignment with BriarPatch Ends Policies.
BriarPatch Cooperative Community Fund
Our Community Fund generates interest income for annual grants to local community groups working on issues relating to sustainable agriculture and organic food, hunger and social issues, environmental protection and cooperatives.
Checkout Boxes and Food Bank Bin
Donation collection boxes for a limited number of nonprofit groups are kept at the registers. A bin for food donations for The Food Bank of Nevada County is located near the store exit doors.
Our CAUSE program donated $57,267 to local charities in 2018. Proof that your change really does add up!
BriarPatch is a major supporter of Sierra Harvest, a Nevada County nonprofit whose work aligns perfectly with the BriarPatch Ends Policies related to food education, local food, and strengthening the local food system.