Fun to make, fun to eat!
- 1 pound broccoli florets (from 1 ½ pounds broccoli stalks), thinly sliced and then roughly chopped
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds or slivered almonds
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup raisins, dried cranberries or dried tart cherries, chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 medium clove garlic, finely minced
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Toast the sunflower seeds or slivered almonds: Pour nuts/seeds into a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring frequently so they don’t burn, until seeds turn golden on the sides, about 5 minutes. Pour toasted seeds into a large serving bowl.
- Add the chopped broccoli, onion, cheese, and raisins to the serving bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients (olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, garlic, dried thyme and salt). Whisk until the mixture is well blended.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir until all of the broccoli is lightly coated in dressing. Let the salad marinate for at least 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
Leftovers will keep well for 3 to 4 days in the fridge, covered.