BriarPatch Food Co-op supports the local food movement.
Look for local food throughout the store as well as at local farmers markets and farm stands:
The Market at Grass Valley
Nevada County Certified Growers’ Markets are held seasonally from May through October in Grass Valley, Nevada City, and Penn Valley; check their website for locations, days, and times.
Nevada City Farmers Market
This popular market in downtown Nevada City is open in winter, once a month, December through May. During the regular season, the market is open each Saturday from June to November on Union Street in downtown Nevada City.
The Sierra Harvest mission is to educate, inspire, and connect Nevada County families to fresh, local, seasonal food.
As a community-owned cooperative, part of BriarPatch Food Co-op’s mission is to support our community while building our local economy.
Join us in connecting with local and regional farms, ranches, and businesses by looking for the local/regional signs and thinking local first as you shop.
Why Buy Local?
- Local farms and ranches preserve the open land we all enjoy, while ensuring a local food supply… plus the food is fresher and tastes better!
- Local farms and businesses create local jobs, support local charities, and build our local economy.
- Local farms and businesses keep more money in the community, so we all live better!
We support local farmers by:
- Providing a stable market.
- Paying fair prices.
- Planning for crops we need.
- Teaching retail practices.
- Guaranteeing farm loans.
- Financing organic certification.
Local Food Coalition
Western Nevada County’s local farms and farmers: