Make this delicious pumpkin “pie” using basic ingredients for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It’s also a great addition to your celebration table.
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and Pepper
- 6 fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup shredded Gruyère or mild white cheddar cheese
- 1 9-inch pie crust, store-bought, baked and cooled according to instructions or homemade pie crust, blind-baked and cooled
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat butter in a medium sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add bacon and cook until fully-rendered and caramelized, 10 – 12 minutes.
- Remove bacon from pan and add onions and bay leaf; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are browned and tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and return bacon to pan along with sage and thyme and cook for one minute.
- Whisk together pumpkin puree, eggs, cream and shredded cheese in large bowl. Whisk in onion mixture.
- Pour into prepared crust and bake until set 30-40 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into eight equal portions.
Note: For vegetarian version, use 1 cup finely-sliced mushrooms in place of bacon. Add a pinch of sugar to help with mushrooms caramelizing.