This covers your starch and your greens. Perfecto!
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, cut into pieces, chilled in freezer
- 2 large heads broccoli, chopped
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups ricotta, drained
- 1 cup Parmesan, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh lemon zest
- ¼ tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper to taste
- All-purpose flour
- Mix flour, sugar and salt in a food processor to combine.
- Add butter and pulse until butter is pea-sized. Slowly pour in ½ cup ice water and pulse just until a ball of dough forms.
- Transfer dough (with the dry bits) to a work surface, drizzle 1 Tbsp ice water over and knead to just barely bring dough together.
- Divide in half. Form dough into 2 ¾”-thick disks and tightly wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill at least 2 hours or freeze up to 1 month.
Filling and Assembly:
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium. Add onions, cook until softened, 3-4 minutes, then add broccoli, and cook another 5-7 minutes, until broccoli is bright green and tender.
- Whisk 7 eggs in a large bowl to blend.
- Add ricotta, Parmesan and broccoli mixture and mix to combine. Add garlic, lemon zest, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Let dough sit at room temperature 5 minutes to soften. Roll out 1 disk of dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12″ round about ⅛” thick.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Roll out remaining disk of dough and carefully transfer to tart pan.
- Press dough firmly into sides and bottom of pan.
- Trim, leaving about a ½” overhang. Beat remaining egg in a small bowl to blend and brush edges of dough.
- Pour filling onto center of pan and spread evenly.
- Lay second round of dough over filling.
- Trim edges of top round, leaving ½” overhang.
- Fold edge of bottom crust up and over top, then press edges together to seal.
- Crimp and brush top of dough with remaining beaten egg. Chill in freezer 10 minutes.
- Bake pie until crust is dgolden brown, about 70 minutes. Let cool in pan at least 30 minutes before serving.